To celebrate our 10 year anniversary, we’re celebrating the tastemakers, collaborators and like-minded business women who have championed & cherished the Lizzie Fortunato brand for over a decade. Friends for 10 is a series of short interviews that introduces you to these very women. They are our supporters and muses. Just like you, they are the people who’ve shaped our brand and made Lizzie Fortunato, well … Lizzie Fortunato. #LF10
How do you spell girl crush?: Maria Dueñas Jacobs. We first met Maria 10 years ago when she was in the editorial world – she worked both at Glamour and later as the Accessories Director of Elle Magazine – and was both a friend and a supporter of our brand. That seems like a lifetime ago when you consider that Maria is now the mother of 3 young girls, including twins (extra brownie points!), and the Director of Brand Development at Stitch Fix, an innovative company merging fashion and technology. Where does Maria find the hours in her day? She is an accessories lover, a cat lover, an NYC lover and we love that we can call her a Friend for 10. Thank you, Maria, for your enthusiasm, warmth, bubbly energy and kindness over the years. Here’s to 10 more!
Q & A:
1. Are you a Lizzie (creative) or a Kathryn (business):
MDJ: I like both sisters so much, so I’m going to go with a mix of creative & business.
2. We just celebrated our 10 year anniversary (crazy, right?). What’s your favorite (personal) milestone that you’ve experienced in that last 10 years?:
MDJ: I had 3 daughters in the last 5 years – my biggest achievement yet!
3. What is your favorite Lizzie Fortunato piece from the Fall’18 collection?:
MDJ: I love all their hoops. They are statements but also super wearable with jeans and a tee.
4. What is your favorite Fortune Find for your home?:
MDJ: So many amazing finds! I’m currently building a costom bookcase so these would be a perfect addition!
5. What is your favorite accessory (this could be a belt / a watch / a pet / whatever!); Why?:
MDJ: DEFINITELY jewelry. And if I had to pick, I would say it’s a tie between rings and earrings.
6. What is the most random thing in your purse right now?:
MDJ: Nerds (the candy) for bribing-emergencies with my daughters.
7. Small but impactful advice for aspiring female entrepreneurs?:
MDJ: Don’t give up!
8. What gets you out of bed in the AM?:
MDJ: My daughters are my alarm. I hear them talking through our Ipad monitor and I get up to start my day.
9. Secret to your success?:
MDJ: Give others the benefit of the doubt and try to stay positive throughout your day. Know that there is something to learn from everyone (the janitor or the CEO).
10. My first job was _______:
MDJ: As an assistant freelance stylist on odd jobs (anyone that would hire and pay me!).
11. Beach or Mountains?:
MDJ: Beach for sure!
12. Favorite place you’ve ever traveled?:
MDJ: Tokyo is my favorite city!
13. Would you rather win an Olympic Medal or an Academy Award?:
MDJ: Academy Award.
14. Up Early or Up Late?:
MDJ: Up early.
15. If I were a NY neighborhood I would be _____?:
MDJ: West Village.
16. One item you can’t live without when you travel______?:
MDJ: Sleep mask for flights.
Worlds Collide: LFJ on the pages of Elle Magazine
What Maria Is Wearing:
Shop Maria’s favorites & more: